Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SOLVED

Web IQ TLS ctrlX Core

Web IQ TLS ctrlX Core

Sgilk
Contributor

I am trying to add a listener with TLS enabled to the Web IQ runtime on my ctrlX core. I generated the certificate and private key via SSH into the core. I recieve the error below when applying this configuration in Web IQ designer. This is not listed in their API documentation.

Sgilk_1-1660763274650.png

Sgilk_0-1660763248796.png

Is there a documented method of doing this correctly somewhere?

26 REPLIES 26

HmiGuide
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

You have to register for the internal aera of SmartHMI web page.https://www.smart-hmi.com/user/download/deliver/docs/documentation-manual-connect-configuration-tool...
Section: TLS Configuration example

webiq-sk
Frequent Contributor

A listener needs a listener port - that's how TCP/IP works. In your screen I can see that you don't have a port set.

Their documentation states the port is 443 by default. You can specify if you want it different.

webiq-sk
Frequent Contributor

"Default" relates to port 443 for HTTPS - not as a default port when you enter nothing.

Hello,

These are the instructions I referenced. I recieved the error message above when configuring via the designer. The command line tools cannot be run from within their snap installation folder on the core. That directory is formatted such that it is read only and cannot be changed by chmod.

webiq-sk
Frequent Contributor

Your screenshot clearly shows that you did not enter a port number.

If you enter a port number it should work. This is a mandatory field and as such you are getting an error when you leave it empty (albeit not a good one, unfortunately).

Specifying the port allowed the listener to be added and I can access the page with the specified FQDN as (192.168.100) and using self signed certificate, but I recieve a certificate not valid error and the HMI application is not displayed.

Is there a correct location I should be storing the certificates?

Currently, I have them in a folder in the core /home directory, since I can't place them in the snap folder.

webiq-sk
Frequent Contributor

Can you please specify what "cannot access" means? Are you getting a timeout in the browser when accessing https://192.168.100/ - or any other error message?

Here are some images.

Sgilk_0-1660831208303.png

Sgilk_1-1660831256856.png

Sgilk_2-1660831281460.png

webiq-sk
Frequent Contributor

Then everything is working correctly from the WebIQ (and probably ctrlX) side. Browsers behave like this if you use a self-signed certificate, that's a security feature and not a bug and happens with any website.

This might help you to find a solution: https://www.google.com/search?q=google+chrome+insecure+self+signed&oq=google+chrome+insecure+self+si...

"Certificate is not valid" might also point to the time not being setup correctly on your ctrlX but you would still get these error messages from any browser.

I installed the certificate as trusted in my browser. The page still indicates unsecure and the HMI application is not displayed.

It seems to me these might be separate issues?

I can access the HMI application at the HTTP endpoint, port 10123.

I tried disabling the listener on port 10123 and changing the TLS listener to port 888, in case it was interfering with the ctrlX web interface. I then recieve this error which I can't find in the API reference.

Sgilk_0-1661433083770.png

webiq-sk
Frequent Contributor

You should never disable the listener on port 10123 as then you won't be able to connect with WebIQ Designer anymore. Just add a new listener on a different port, e.g. port 443 for the standard HTTPS port.

I assume the error occurs because the certificate files cannot be read by WebIQ Server due to a permission issue. Do the files have the correct permissions? If it's related to those files it would rather be a ctrlX and not a WebIQ issue and unfortunately then I cannot help you any further and someone from ctrlX would have to step in here as I don't know how you could change the permissions in ctrlX.

Permissions on the private key files are by default very strict for obvious reasons.

Do you have a suggestion on someone to contact? This will be an important capability for the ctrlX Core.

webiq-sk
Frequent Contributor

Normally they read this forum as well and I assume they would reply here.

We will check this.

Sorry for the late reply.

We had a look to this topic and think that it as a problem because the WebIQ server does not have access to the certificates you uploaded. Please beware of following points:

1. Each snap is running in a sandbox and do not have any access rigths to the file system but on his own installation path (e.g. /var/snap/ctrlx-smarthmi-webiq-runtime/current/). See this post for how it looks like in Node-RED.
  2. Access to other locations has to be granted by e.g. UnixPipes. We do so with our app data (activeConfiguration). But for this a snap plug is needed in the interface of the app that should be able to participate. See this post for how to access from a snap and from a PC to corresponding path "/var/snap/rexroth-solutions/common/solutions/activeConfiguration/".
  3. A standard ctrlX CORE will have no active SSH connection. Only for testing/development purposes a system user can be handed out by Rexroth that will grant this rights. See this post for further information.

I do not see a configuration folder for WebIQ Server over WebDAV. Does this mean the server app would need to be modified to support upload of TLS certificates?

Sgilk_0-1664203158243.png

CodeShepherd
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Is this still an issue or can this topic be closed?

I was able to activate a listener after packaging the certificate files with the published app. The path to the certificate files is then:

/var/snap/ctrlx-smarthmi-webiq-runtime/current/.webiq/WebIQ Projects/cp_1/TLS/certificate.pem

/var/snap/ctrlx-smarthmi-webiq-runtime/current/.webiq/WebIQ Projects/cp_1/TLS/private_key.pem

I can now reach the web application at the listener endpoint. In my case it is https://192.168.1.100:12345/cp_1/

The browser still displays a "Not Secure" tag and I see the error messages below in the service logs.

Sgilk_1-1673883088244.png

HmiGuide
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Bosch defined a request to implement TLS (https) communication in next WebIQ version 2.14 

webiq-sk
Frequent Contributor

The error messages in the log are correct, because the browser you're using tries to connect using SSL which has been disabled for security reasons in WebIQ a long time ago.

A browser will always display certificate warnings if you're not using an officially signed TLS certificate. Valid certificates must have these features:

Please note that all of this has nothing to do with WebIQ specifically and is the same for any webserver you would be using without any difference whatsoever. The certificate files are the same for any webserver like NGINX, Apache or WebIQ - there's really no difference.

So whenever you're having issues with the browser not trusting your certificate you should be able to find solutions on Google.

webiq-sk
Frequent Contributor

HmiGuide
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

The issue is, that it currently needs user action, which is hard to implement and needs experiance on ctrlX.

webiq-sk
Frequent Contributor

Yes, in addition, TLS certificates should never be put inside an HMI project as that way they could very easily be stolen (i.e. copied) because anyone would be able to download both the certificate and private key from the server through the browser!

Also, as certificates are not bound to any HMI, but to the server (as a port can be used by a single application only on a system) they belong to the WebIQ Server (Runtime) and not to any specific HMI.

However, with the current implementation of WebIQ on ctrlX this is not really comfortable for a user, I agree.

webiq-sk
Frequent Contributor

@Sgilk Security issue demo:

The user could download your full certificate data through these URLs:
https://192.168.1.100:12345/cp_1/TLS/certificate.pem 
https://192.168.1.100:12345/cp_1/TLS/private_key.pem

Solution
Put the certificate files into the .db directory - then these files will not be served and are not accessible from the browser:
/var/snap/ctrlx-smarthmi-webiq-runtime/current/.webiq/WebIQ Projects/cp_1/.db/certificate.pem
/var/snap/ctrlx-smarthmi-webiq-runtime/current/.webiq/WebIQ Projects/cp_1/.db/private_key.pem

HmiGuide
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

SmartHMI is currently working on adaptions that WebIQ can use the reverse proxy server of the ctrlX.

With the reverse proxy server you can communicate via https to WebIQ. See article: HowTo-view-content-from-mutiple-webServers-in-one-web-page 

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist