Did you mean: 
SOLVED

Community-contributed plugin installation on the official Telegraf app

Community-contributed plugin installation on the official Telegraf app

MichaelEjigu
New Poster

Hello all 

New CtrlX user here! 
Has anybody had any experience with installing community-contributed plugin on the official Telegraf app? 
I'm using version 2.4.0+1.28.2 of Telegraf 

Best regards, 

Michael

4 REPLIES 4

Sgilk
Contributor

Hi @MichaelEjigu ,

Unfortunately, installation of community-contributed or any plugin not included with the built snap is not supported. The plugins must be included during the compilation process. If you'd like to install a non-supported plugin, you will need to build from source. The list of included plugins can be found here: ctrlX Telegraf Plugins

That being said, there are a large number of plugins included with the current build. Here is a snippet from the Telegraf diagnostic logs.

Available plugins: 241 inputs, 9 aggregators, 30 processors, 24 parsers, 60 outputs, 6 secret-stores

Here is an example configuration utilizing the MQTT output and the ctrlX datalayer input plugins.

[[outputs.mqtt]]
  servers = ["192.168.1.200:1883"]
  username = "sgilk"
  password = "sgilk"
  insecure_skip_verify = false
  topic = 'telegraf/{{ .PluginName}}/{{ .Tag "measurement"}}'
  layout = "field"
## Configure the input plugin with the username and password to ctrlX Core  
[[inputs.ctrlx_datalayer]]
   ## Hostname or IP address of ctrlX CORE
   server = "localhost"

## Authentication credentials
   username = "boschrexroth"
   password = "boschrexroth"

## Use TLS but skip chain & host verification
   insecure_skip_verify = true
   [[inputs.ctrlx_datalayer.subscription]]
      ## The name of the measurement. (default: "ctrlx")
      measurement = "metrics"

nodes=[
         {name="cpu_usage_percent", address="framework/metrics/system/cpu-utilisation-percent"}
      ]

Thank you for your feedback, I will check out the listed plugins and maybe create a feature request (once I find out how) if the pre-included plugins are not sufficient. Being able to integrate plugins as a user would also allow to update plugins at a faster rate than the official app updates. 
I am not familiar enough with telegraf yet to judge if this is even technically feasible

I will accept your reply as a solution once i have figured out how to create a feature request

Thanks again 

@MichaelEjigu,

The technical problem is that Telegraf is written in Go and compiles to a single binary. To execute this in ctrlX OS, it must be packaged as an Ubuntu snap. If a plugin needs to be added, the Telegraf source must be recompiled and packaged as a new snap.

The good news is that Telegraf (and the ctrlX fork) is open source. You can take this, add your custom plugin, recompile and package as a custom snap to install on the ctrlX OS system.

Great! 

Thanks again 
Michael

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist