Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install Node-Red Nodes to CtrlX Core without Internet

Install Node-Red Nodes to CtrlX Core without Internet

DCEN_Tony
Established Member

Hello,

I have no experience with this topic however I am trying to help someone install a Node (node-red-mysql-r2) to Node-Red without having to connect their Core to the internet.

Is it possible to download the package and install from file to get around this?

I have seen from topic https://developer.community.boschrexroth.com/t5/ctrlX-CORE/How-to-install-nodered-nodes-for-the-pale...that it may be possible using a *.tgz file and there was a link to documentation in Opto22 forum but I did not understand the solution here and could find no documentation.

Is it possible and if so does anyone have some simple step by step instructions for how to do this?

Many Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

CodeShepherd
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

The current state is still the same. The palettes to be installed needs to be downloaded on a PC with Internet and needed sources needs to be added.

We offer the possibility to do that packing for customers for testing purposes (See node-red-contrib-modbus node). Beware that signing an usage agreement.

Sgilk
Contributor

Hello @DCEN_Tony ,

Yes, you can install Node-RED pallets offline as .tgz. The packing process does not always automatically include dependencies, so this can be more problematic than the online install. Here is an example...

1. Install npm (sudo apt install npm)
  2. Pack package as .tgz (npm pack node-red-contrib-iiot-opcua)
  3. Install in Node-RED flow editor
    1. Sgilk_0-1708094628749.png
    2. Sgilk_1-1708094673662.png

You can also build a custom snap of Node-RED and include the pallets in the build. See node-red-demo-snap line 88. Credit @MauroRiboniMX 

David08
Long-established Member

Hello Sgilk,

I have to install the influxdb palette in Node Red on a Core that is currently working on a machine and I have to do it offline (no internet connection is possible where the machine is).
I have downloaded the tgz on my computer but it crashes when I install it.
Is there any solution for this other than connecting the CtrlX to the internet?

Thanks.

Hi @David08 ,

It seems that this package is looking at an online registry during the install and is unable to reach it. Very strange... but it looks like an internet connection is necessary, even for installation via tgz, in this case.

You have 2 options that I can see.

1. Supply an internet connection to the machine. This could even be done via mobile phone hotspot and a cheap USB wifi adapter.
  2. Create a custom Node-RED application that installs this pallet during the build process, on a machine with internet access.

David08
Long-established Member

Thanks for the reply Skilk,

I have tried it with influxdb, mysql and OPCUA tgz and they all fail. The CtrlX software version is 2.4.
I have this TPlink AC600 Wireless usb adapter but it is not recognised by CtrlX (not even the power led lights up).

TP-Link Archer T2U Nano AC600 USB WLAN Stick Adapter schwarz/gold: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehör
Could you recommend me a usb Wifi adapter tested with CtrlX version 2 that works.

Thanks.

CodeShepherd
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

There have bin similar discussion in the thread "CtrlX Core - Wifi dongle connection".

Please have a look in our official documentation for supported USB devices:

Please beware that only tgz palletts not in need of any further  libraries can be installed out of the box. I guess this is what happens in our case. Where did you get your tgz from?

@David08 ,

I found a method to package and install the module dependencies as well. I'll be writing a How-To article, but in the meantime, here is an offline compatible package for node-red-contrib-influxdb. Just extract the .zip to .tgz and you should be able to install offline using the pallet manager.

David08
Long-established Member

Hello Sgilk and CodeSheperd,

The attached influxdb tgz works. Thank you very much Sgilk.

@CodeShepherd I have used this command with PowerShell on Windows: npm pack node-red-contrib-influxdb.

The problem is that the downloaded tgz file is only 15kb in size. Compared to the Sgilk file, 684 Kb, my file will be missing repositories.
Can you tell me which command you have used to download the tgz file.
Thank you very much.

@David08 ,

I will be releasing a How-To article in the next few days and will explain everything there. If you need some help before then, please contact me via DM.

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist