Randomly I get this error code telling me that I lost the Ethercat Licence "0C0F0000;0C71E7F0" .
When I double check the licence in the licence editor of ctrlXCore I can see the the licence is still active.
I am using ctrlXworks 14 with app version 12.
Is it a probelm?
the version of the ethercat app is 1.12.4
Nb: I have somtimes the same probelm with the plc licence.
Thank you very much for your help.
Solved! Go to Solution.
You should use all apps and software of the same release e.g. official long term service version 1.12 that can be found via the store.
Could tell us some more about your setup? Is it a ctrlX COREvirtual set up with ctrlX WORKS 1.14?
I have similar problems and can report about the same fault.
Regarding to your problem with the loss of the Ethernet license, I got the same problem. But I fixed it with the update from version 1.12 to 1.16. Since the update I never lost the ECAT License again.
But loss of PLC license still happens in version 1.16. Mainly with a high utalization of the core. When I am not able to operate the browser application (Because its very slowly) and the ctrlX core switches to service mode and then it loses the plc license. After a reboot the license is back and the Core is able to run.
Here is my app setup.
When the plc license is lost it is still in the license menu but but in the plc menu it says: no license available
@BertrandElogia I cannot reproduce this behavior in version 1.12 and 1.16 so in your case I still would suggest that is a problem in mixing the versions of 1.12 and 1.14. Please follow my suggest and only use one release version e.g. 1.12 as it is the long term service version.
@NiceGuy In your case like you mentioned it could be that when ctrlX CORE is at maximum load the realtime framework crashes an partially reboots the system. Some of the apps will not boot up correctly under this conditions.