cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help snapping a Docker image

Help snapping a Docker image

AutomateSHANE
Long-established Member

I could use some guidance on creating a snap of a docker image as the process isn't very straightforward and I'm already at least halfway through. Let me begin by stating what I have done so far.

The app was already developped and I followed a process to create a Docker image. To accomplish that, I installed Docker Engine on Ubuntu22 (running as VM on VMware hosted on Windows PC). The image is built.

I cloned the ctrlX SDK github repo on the Ubuntu VM. I need to create snap of the image and the application manual I was reading references some scripts to do that, but I cannot find them. The how-to video from @Sgilk alludes to configging the snap with YAML files using VS Code. I ran the script install-dotnet-sdk.sh and now.....I need to install VS Code itself, correct?

5 REPLIES 5

Sgilk
Contributor

Hi @AutomateSHANE ,

VS Code is simply the text editor I chose to use for development. You could use whatever you'd like, although I do personally recommend VS Code.

I would suggest starting with the example I provide on my Github. This way you can see how the application is structured and use the video as a reference.

AutomateSHANE
Long-established Member

Thanks for the quick reply, Sam! So the scripts referenced are the ones in the repo of the example. I see. I'll take a deeper dive into it and see what I can make work. 

No problem! Here is another simpler example for reference.

The script install-dotnet-sdk.sh is only used for configuring a build environment for .NET development. It has nothing to do with snapping the docker image provider applications. You'll mainly be interested in modifying the snapcraft.yaml and docker-compose.yml files to suit your needs.

Let me know if you have any questions.

AutomateSHANE
Long-established Member

I've taken a look at several samples now and a lot of references across different sites. I have a slightly better understanding of how this all pieces together, but I'm still quite lost on my next steps. Honestly, the 'How-To' here doesn't have any 'how'. It is a great show-and-tell and general introduction, but those of us who are new to Docker and have self-taught software skills need a bit more than just finished examples that must be reverse engineered. There's way too many pieces to this puzzle. 

@AutomateSHANE ,

There are way too many pieces of the puzzle to make a comprehensive How-To that isn't multiple hours long. The scope of the video was a tutorial on deploying a container on the ctrlX Container Engine application. Each application will require unique configuration, so only a few examples could be shown.

It was not meant to be a comprehensive tutorial on snapcraft, Docker or other software development concepts. See the "Useful Links" section of the article for more information on those puzzle pieces.

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist