SAFEX - Fortress How To Teaser Image.png

ctrlX SAFETY with Fortress amGard proNet FSoE

ctrlXProgrammatore
Long-established Member
Introduction

In this article we show to you how to connect a Fortress amGard proNet interlock via Safety over EtherCAT (FSoE) with a SAFEX-C1x SAFETY controller.

Topology OverviewTopology Overview

General Information

All functions and screen shots are based on:

• ctrlX SAFETY Engineering version >= 1.7.3.9558
  • SAFEX Runtime / Firmware version >= 1.0.1.45
  • ctrlX WORKS version >= 1.20.5
Fortress amGard proNet

The Fortress amGard proNet is available with the solenoid controlled by either the safety controller or standard controller. This is depicted in the model number:

• “NM” indicates the solenoid is controlled by the standard controller.
  • “NR” indicates the solenoid is controlled by the safety controller.

In this example a unit with the solenoid controlled by the standard controller was used with the following ESI file:

• HL1S6SKV11SVRALY0000NNMLGLRP7EINPF09
  • ESI_Fortress_amGard_proNet 1.xml

Further details including the ESI file are available from Fortress

Prerequisites
  • A connection to the SAFEX-C1x SAFETY control and ctrlX CORE have been successfully established.
  • The devices are correctly wired and have been powered on with 24V.
  • Engineering tools ctrlX SAFETY and ctrlX WORKS have been started.
  • ctrlX CORE has EtherCAT Master, PLC app and licenses for each app installed.
ctrlX I/O Engineering

Open ctrlX I/O Engineering from ctrlX WORKS:

ctrlX WORKS Engineering ToolsctrlX WORKS Engineering Tools

Open Tools\Device Repository:

ctrlX I/O Engineering Device RepositoryctrlX I/O Engineering Device Repository

Click “Install..”:

Device RepositoryDevice Repository

Select Fortress ESI file, click “Open”:

Device Repository Select ESI FileDevice Repository Select ESI File

The Fortress amGard proNet device is added, click “Close”:

Device Repository Device AddedDevice Repository Device Added

If needed repeat the process for SAFEX-C1x ESI file installation.

Select File\New Project:

ctrlX I/O Engineering New ProjectctrlX I/O Engineering New Project

Select ctrlX CORE I/O, enter name and location of project then click “OK”:

ctrlX I/O Engineering New Project Template SelectionctrlX I/O Engineering New Project Template Selection

A new project was created, right click on “ethercatmaster (EtherCAT Master)” then “Scan for Devices…”:

ctrlX I/O Engineering Scan for DevicesctrlX I/O Engineering Scan for Devices

The SAFEX-C12 and amGard proNet are found. Click “Insert all newly scanned devices” then OK:

Insert Scanned DevicesInsert Scanned Devices

The devices are added to the project:

Scanned Devices Added to ProjectScanned Devices Added to Project

Expand SAFEX_C12 (SAFEX-C12) then right click on FSoE Connection_1\Plug Device…:

Plug DevicePlug Device

The Fortress interlock requires 4 bytes in/4 bytes out, select this data length then click “Plug Device”:

Plug Device Data Length SelectionPlug Device Data Length Selection

The FSoE connection is added to the project:

FSoE Connection Added to ProjectFSoE Connection Added to Project

This step is required for the module used in this example. It may or may not be required for your module. Expand amGard_proNet (amGard proNet) then right click on Interlock_IO (Deactivated)\Plug Device.:

Add Standard Interlock I/OAdd Standard Interlock I/O

Select “Interlock Standard IO then click “Plug Device”:

Interlock Standard I/O Plug Device SelectionInterlock Standard I/O Plug Device Selection

The control for the solenoid from the standard I/O has been added:

Standard Interlock I/O Added to ProjectStandard Interlock I/O Added to Project

Double click on “ethercatmaster (EtherCAT Master)” then “Slave to slave” tab to add the FSoE connections between the SAFEX-C12 SAFETY controller and amGard proNet interlock:

Slave to Slave Data MappingSlave to Slave Data Mapping

First the SAFEX-C12 FSoE outputs to the amGard proNet interlock inputs will be added. On the “Source” side expand SAFEX_C12 [SAFEX-C12]\FSoE_Connection1 [FSoE Master Connection 4 Bytes In/4 Bytes out 0 bye safety parameter 620D] then select 0x1A00 FSoE SafetySlaveMessage 04 Bytes In [88 Bits]:

SAFEX-C1x Source Data SelectionSAFEX-C1x Source Data Selection

On the “Destination” side expand amGard_proNet [amGard proNet]\Safety_Module [Safety Module] then select 0x1600 RxSPDU [88 bits] then click “Add connection”:

amGard proNet Destination Data SelectionamGard proNet Destination Data Selection

The connection is added to the project:

Slave to Slave Data Mapping CompleteSlave to Slave Data Mapping Complete

Now the amGard proNet interlock outputs to SAFEX-C12 FSoE inputs will be added. On the “Source” side expand amGard_proNet [amGard proNet]\Safety_Module [Safety Module] then select 0xA00 TxSPDU [88 bits]:

amGard proNet Source Data SelectionamGard proNet Source Data Selection

On the “Destination” side expand SAFEX_C12 [SAFEX-C12]\FSoE_Connection1 [FSoE Master Connection 4 Bytes In/4 Bytes out 0 bye safety parameter 620D] then select 0x1600 FSoE SafetyMasterMessage 04 Bytes Out [88 Bits] then click “Add connection”:

SAFEX-C1x Destination Data SelectionSAFEX-C1x Destination Data Selection

The connection is added to the project:

Slave to Slave Data Mapping CompleteSlave to Slave Data Mapping Complete

The I/O configuration is completed and can be downloaded to the CORE. Click on the “Download” icon from the tool bar and ensure the project downloads successfully:

ctrlX I/O Engineering DownloadctrlX I/O Engineering Download

ctrlX PLC Engineering

Open ctrlX PLC Engineering from ctrlX WORKS:

ctrlX WORKS Engineering ToolsctrlX WORKS Engineering Tools

Select File\New Project:

ctrlX PLC Engineering New ProjectctrlX PLC Engineering New Project

Select ctrlX CORE hardware type, enter name and location of project then click “OK”:

ctrlX PLC Engineering New Project Template SelectionctrlX PLC Engineering New Project Template Selection

A new project was created, right click on “DataLayer_Realtime\Select realtime data\Selectively from ctrlX CORE…”:

Read I/O Configuration Data from CORERead I/O Configuration Data from CORE

Use the pull-down menu to Select Source: Control ethercat_master_instance_ethercatmaster, check the boxes for all devices then click “Applies all currently selected control data to the PLC project.” Click close:

Source SelectionSource Selection

The SAFEX-C12 and amGard proNet interlock devices are added to the PLC project:

I/O Devices Added to PLC ProjectI/O Devices Added to PLC Project

Here is an overview of the Fortress amGard proNet I/O from the documentation. Please see the Fortress website for the latest documentation and additional information:

Fortress amGard proNet I/OFortress amGard proNet I/O

The following PLC program was created only as a functional example for demonstration purposes of the communications. It is not written to meet any specific PL or SIL rating nor any specific risk assessment. Programming methods must be used to meet your specific application requirements:

PLC I/O Variables Declaration and ProgramPLC I/O Variables Declaration and Program

PLC I/O Variables Declaration and Program OnlinePLC I/O Variables Declaration and Program Online

ctrlX SAFETY Engineering

Open ctrlX SAFETY Engineering then select “Slave Device Editor” from the Main Menu:

ctrlX SAFETY Engineering Slave Device EditorctrlX SAFETY Engineering Slave Device Editor

Click “Import Slave Device” icon:

Slave Device ImportSlave Device Import

Select Fortress ESI file, click “Open”:

ESI File SelectionESI File Selection

Click amGard proNet checkbox, click “Import”:

Fortress amGard proNet ESI File ImportFortress amGard proNet ESI File Import

Click “OK” to close the Slave Device Editor and finish the import process:

Close Slave Device EditorClose Slave Device Editor

Library LoadingLibrary Loading

If needed expand Master\ctrlX SAFETY in the Library window then drag and drop the control type you have in the workspace area:

SAFEX-C1x SelectionSAFEX-C1x Selection

In this case a SAFEX-C12 has been added:

SAFEX-C1x Added to ProjectSAFEX-C1x Added to Project

Expand Slave Device\Fortress Interlocks\Network Interlocks then drag and drop an amGard proNet to the workspace area:

Fortress amGard proNet added to projectFortress amGard proNet added to project

In the properties window for the amGard proNet select the Profile type using the pulldown menu:

Fortress amGard proNet Profile SelectionFortress amGard proNet Profile Selection

The Slave Address must match the address on the unit set with the DIP switches. Please see the Fortress website for the latest documentation and additional information on setting the FSoE Slave Address:

Fortress amGard proNet Slave AddressFortress amGard proNet Slave Address

• For this example the DIP switches were set to Slave Address 1.
  • The Connection ID must match the Connection ID used in ctrlX I/O Engineering. In this example the Connection ID used was 1.
  • The ECat Address must match the address assigned by the EtherCAT master in ctrlX I/O Engineering. In this example the ECat Address assigned was 1002. These values will be used in the properties along with changing the Name:

Fortress amGard proNet PropertiesFortress amGard proNet Properties

The Safety Module profile was added to the configuration and can now be used in the Functional Scheme:

Fortress amGard proNet Profile Function BlockFortress amGard proNet Profile Function Block

Since the module used for this example is configured to use the standard controller for control of the solenoid. Programming can be added to monitor the bits. The following ctrlX SAFETY program was created only as a functional example for demonstration purposes of the communications. It is not written to meet any specific PL or SIL rating nor any specific risk assessment. Programming methods must be used to meet your specific application requirements:

Fortress amGard proNet Profile Function Block OnlineFortress amGard proNet Profile Function Block Online

ctrlX Example Projects

The following example projects are included in the SAFEX-C1x - Fortress Example Projects.zip available for download below:

• ctrlX I/O Engineering
  • ctrlX PLC Engineering
  • ctrlX SAFETY Engineering
Additional  Resources
Downloads
ctrlXProgrammatore
ctrlXProgrammatore
Hello, my name is Tim. I am a member of the ctrlX AUTOMATION Community with a focus on Safety applications. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions!
Must Read
Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist