mm-173833_header_1544x548_0765_sonderbild_gruppe-alle_ps3.jpg

Set up WAGO I/O System Field and connect it to ctrlX CORE using EtherCAT

maxvogeley
Established Member

Introduction

Whether on the packaging machine or on the robot arm - the modules of the WAGO I/O System Field with IP67 protection are located exactly where they are needed: directly on the machine - close to sensors and actuators.

This instruction shows how the WAGO I/O System Field can be connected to the ctrlX CORE via EtherCAT.

Prerequisites

This instruction has been created based on

• ctrlX CORE V1.10
  • ctrlX CORE EtherCAT Master App V1.10
  • ctrlX PLC Engineering V1.10
  • ctrlX I/O Engineering V1.10
  • WAGO_series765.xml

and exemplarily with the following modules from the WAGO I/O System Field:

• 765-4202/0100-0000     8-Port-IO Link Master Class B; EtherCAT; DC 24 V / 2.0 A
  • 765-1201/0100-0000    16-channel digital input; EtherCAT; 24 VDC
  • 765-1706/0200-0000    16-channel digital input/output; IO Link Class B Hub; DC 24 V / 2.0 A

WAGO I/O System FieldWAGO I/O System Field

Setup the I/O configuration
  1. Open ctrlX CORE user interface in browser.

CTRLX CORE user interfaceCTRLX CORE user interface

2 Add EtherCAT master by clicking [+] in EtherCAT > Configuration

EtherCAT > Configuration > [+]EtherCAT > Configuration > [+]

EtherCAT > Configuration > [+] > [OK]EtherCAT > Configuration > [+] > [OK]

Launch the local installed ctrlX I/O Engineering by clicking on [ctrlX I/O Engineering].

EtherCAT > Configuration > [ctrlX I/O Engineering]EtherCAT > Configuration > [ctrlX I/O Engineering]

Choose a project name and a folder where the I/O configuration should be saved.

Start ctrlX I/O Engineering > Choose a project name and a folderStart ctrlX PLC Engineering > Choose a project name and a folderStart ctrlX PLC Engineering > Choose a project name and a folder

If a window appears right after the start of ctrlX I/O Engineering please choose [Use project from ctrlX].

ctrlX I/O Engineering > Project SynchronizationctrlX I/O Engineering > Project Synchronization

Install the device description file WAGO_series765.xml by selecting Tools > Device Repository…
The file can be found on the WAGO website, search for "765".

Tools > Device Repository…Tools > Device Repository…

Tools > Device Repository…> [Install] (Select the WAGO_series765.xml file to install.)Tools > Device Repository…> [Install] (Select the WAGO_series765.xml file to install.)

Tools > Device Repository…> [Close]Tools > Device Repository…> [Close]

Choose Scan for Devices… from the context menu from the item “ethercatmaster” to add the modules.

“ethercatmaster” > Scan for devices…“ethercatmaster” > Scan for devices…

Click [Insert all newly scanned devices] and close the dialog by clicking on [OK].

Scan for Devices… > [Insert all newly scanned devices]Scan for Devices… > [Insert all newly scanned devices]Scan for Devices… > [OK]Scan for Devices… > [OK]CTRX I/O ENGINEERING > Devices with two WAGO I/O SYSTEM FIELD modulesCTRX I/O ENGINEERING > Devices with two WAGO I/O SYSTEM FIELD modules

To configure the IO-Link ports select a port and choose Plug Device… from its context menu.

Devices > Plug DeviceDevices > Plug Device

10 Select the data allocation according to the plugged device (here an IO-Link device with two bytes each in send and receive direction is plugged to “IO_Link_port_X01“).

Devices > Plug Device… > Select the device configurationDevices > Plug Device… > Select the device configuration

11 Repeat the configuration for the IO-Link port (see step 10) for each plugged IO-Link device (here are two devices connected to the IO-           Link module).

Devices > Plug Device… > Select the device configurationDevices > Plug Device… > Select the device configuration

12 Apply configuration by choosing Transferring field bus configuration from the context menu of “ethercatmaster”. In case of an upcoming question regarding the change of the operating mode to “Init” it must be confirmed by clicking [Yes].

“ethercatmaster” > Transferring field bus configuration“ethercatmaster” > Transferring field bus configuration

Confirm the change of the operating mode to “Init” by clicking [Yes]Confirm the change of the operating mode to “Init” by clicking [Yes]

13 Save the I/O configuration via File > Save and exit the ctrlX I/O Engineering.

14 Check the status of the EtherCAT fieldbus in the ctrlX CORE user interface via EtherCAT > Status.

ctrlX CORE > EtherCAT > StatusctrlX CORE > EtherCAT > Status

15 The data exchange can be checked using the System > Data Layer.

In this example the device plugged to “IO_Link_Port_X02” sends the value 2.053 splitted in two bytes (0x85).

ctrlX CORE > System > Data LayerctrlX CORE > System > Data Layer

Use the I/O signals in the PLC

Launch the local installed ctrlX PLC Engineering by clicking on [Start ctrlX PLC Engineering].

PLC > [Start ctrlX PLC Engineering]PLC > [Start ctrlX PLC Engineering]

Choose a project name and a folder where the PLC project should be saved.

Choose a project name and a folderChoose a project name and a folder

Connect to Data Layer by choosing Edit > Online from ctrlX CORE… from the context menu of “DataLayer_Realtime” in the window Devices.

ctrlX PLC Engineering > Devices > “DataLayer_Realtime” > Edit > Online from ctrlX CORE…ctrlX PLC Engineering > Devices > “DataLayer_Realtime” > Edit > Online from ctrlX CORE…

Select “ethercat_master_instances_eth[…]” and apply by clicking [Apply changes]

Select “ethercat_master_instances_ethercatmaster”  >  [Apply changes]Select “ethercat_master_instances_ethercatmaster” > [Apply changes]

Select all items and apply by clicking [Apply Changes].

Edit online from ctrlX CORE > Select all items > [Apply changes]Edit online from ctrlX CORE > Select all items > [Apply changes]

Select all IO-Link ports and apply by clicking [Apply changes].

Edit online from ctrlX CORE > Select all items > [Apply changes]Edit online from ctrlX CORE > Select all items > [Apply changes]

7 Select all channel items and apply by clicking [Close].

Select all items > [Close]Select all items > [Close]

After successful setup, the device tree displays the added devices.

All I/O modules have been added to the window DevicesAll I/O modules have been added to the window Devices

Open the programming window by double click on “PLC_PRG (PRG)” and enter the variables in the declaration window (top) and call them in the programming window (bottom).

PLC_PRG: Variable declaration and programmingPLC_PRG: Variable declaration and programming

10 Assign the input variables rawByte0 and rawByte1 to the input channels of port “IO_Link_PortX02” of module „_750_4202“.

Assign input variables to input channelsAssign input variables to input channels

11 Log on to the PLC by Online > Login or by clicking the button in the toolbar and install the controller’s certificate in the local storage by clicking on [OK].

Online > LoginOnline > Login

Online > Login > CertificateOnline > Login > Certificate

12 A possible query for creating the application on the controller must be confirmed with [Yes].

Confirm the creation of the applicationConfirm the creation of the application

13 Start the application program by Debug > Start or by clicking the button in the toolbar.

Debug > StartDebug > Start

14 The view switches to online mode and variable values are displayed.

Online mode with variable valuesOnline mode with variable values

15 Save the PLC program via File > Save and exit the ctrlX PLC ENGINEERING.

Related Links

The Company

The WAGO Group is an international, family-owned company that offers both market-leading products for electrical interconnection technology and an open automation platform recognized across all industries. Automation users of WAGO profit from the freedom of being able to implement automation and IT tasks on an open platform while having access to a nearly boundless range of input and output modules. End users also profit from ready-to-use and custom tailored coordinated solutions. Benefits include enormous versatility, design freedom and end-to-end communication, from the sensor level all the way up to the cloud. Users also enjoy a high degree of reliability – even under extreme conditions. WAGO products connect, measure and network through simple solutions and intelligent connections. Customers profit from scalable solutions for integrating physical measured variables and from applications and assets in fields such as building automation, energy management, shop floor connectivity and much more. WAGO is open and ready for your digital future.

WAGO_logo_ctrlx-world.png

WAGO
WAGO
WAGO’s open automation platform offers flexible I/O systems with a wide range of interfaces from digital and analog signal processing to industry-specific communication.
Editorial work by: maxvogeley
Must Read
Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist