Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SOLVED

Issue with configuration of SMC Ethercat devices EXW1_BEC and EXA1-EC

Issue with configuration of SMC Ethercat devices EXW1_BEC and EXA1-EC

MassimoG

Hello,

I'm writing to seek assistance with a technical issue we are currently facing.

We are running into Ethercat configuration problems with SMC devices EXW1_BEC and EXA1-EC.

We succeded with scanning and switching them to OP as long as we don't attempt to configure them. ( see Fig.1 )

SMC confirmed that these devices only allow "Online-Configuration" and once online they automatically fetch the correct children objects proper configuration.

SMC Techincian we are in contact with succefully tested them with Beckoff Ethercat master (TwinCAT3) going through the steps shown on Fig.2  ( Swithchig to CoE-Online) 

So, we tried to do the same with our  CtrlXI/O Engineering. But as a matter of fact we ended up with empty object directories ( See. Fig. 3 )

We tried to configure manually every and each output and input variable in the attempt to match the same configuration we already validated with Beckoff. This case Ethercat remains stuck to Pre-OP  ( See. Fig 4 ) 

With both SMC devices we are stuck at the same point.

I would greatly appreciate if any of you could support, or address us to the appropriate documentation to go to the bottom of this problem.

Our CtrlX environment ( Core, CtrlXWorks, App ) :  2.4.0.

In attachment : EDS files and product configuration istructions. 

Please let us know if there is any additional information you require.

Regards,

Massimo  

3 REPLIES 3

TheCodeCaptain
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @MassimoG 

unfortunately we do not yet support the online configuration for EtherCAT slaves, like some SMC modules do.
But as a workaround you can get the config from Twincat.
1. Scan it with Twincat
2. Open ctrlX IO Engineering
3. Do the configuration you can see in Twincat manually in ctrlX IO Engineering

The dialogues look very similar, so you should find the points to adjust.

I'll also notify the colleagues from SMC which also did this steps already on a plugfest.

Regards.

op_SMC

Hi MassimoG,

actually the EXW1 device and its configuration file (ESI) only allows to configure them online.

That means, you have to scan the connected device online and the will then be integrated in your configuration. But as far as I know, this functionality is currently not integrated in ctrlX. So as "TheCodeCaptain" has written, you might can go the workaorund with TwinCat.

Currently SMC is working on that topic to make the EXW1 able to be offline configured. But the configuration file is not yet published, only a beat version of it is available. But with that one it should be possible.

On the other hand, please contact your local SMC contact person that might could help you to identify the problem. They can then also contact SMC Germany GTC which is working on that topic. And they can forward the beta version to you!

Oliver

Thank you TheCodeCaptain and op_SMC for your prompt reply.

We contacted and informed out local SMC person to put in place the workaround with Twincat.

Regards,

Massimo

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist