Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SOLVED

Problems updating to CtlrX Core 3.2

Problems updating to CtlrX Core 3.2

cdutz
Long-established Member

In order to continue my efforts to get Apache IoTDB deployed on CtrlX Core, I wanted to update my device (X3) to the latest available version (Which was 3.2.0). So I downloaded the x3 system image and started the update process including the saved setup archive ... now my device is not coming back up, but with the rescue system on the default IP complaining about the image:

Bildschirmfoto 2024-09-03 um 09.17.57.png

What did I do wrong? And how can I get the device back into a running state?

8 REPLIES 8

cdutz
Long-established Member

So it seems some things have changed  since the creation of:
https://developer.community.boschrexroth.com/t5/Store-and-How-to/Update-and-setup-ctrlX-CORE-with-a-...

So what I did, was that I selected the update firmware tool in the web-ui. I inserted a 32GB sd card into the slot of the device, then I selected the firmware-update, chose the System Image archive that I downloaded from the Bosch site, selected the setup archive that I created prior to starting the update and the system selected the sdcard.

After rebooting I'm in the current state.

Now the UI is complaining about expecting some file named: rexroth-arch01_<VERSION>.img.gz or rexroth-arch01.img.gz, which the linked article seems to show as well,
Bildschirmfoto 2024-09-03 um 09.37.48.png

but if I mount my SD card on my mac and have a look, I see this:

Bildschirmfoto 2024-09-03 um 09.36.20.png

 I hope this additional information helps.

cdutz
Long-established Member

So I downloaded the last few SystemImage versions for X3 and the last one that contained these "rexroth-arch01.tar" was 1.20.13

nickH
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @cdutz 

I will try to reproduce your issue. In the meanwhile you can have a look at the "X3 Systemimage 3.2.0.zip" you downloaded. In the folder "rescue" you can find the "rexroth-arch01.tar" you are looking for. (And if you unpack this .tar file you will also find the "rexroth-arch01.img.gz"). 

Best regards, 

Nick

nickH
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

I think I might found what caused the issue on your side. In the "Firmware Update" Window you got to select a ".tar" file. So you got to unpack the zip you downloaded from the collaboration room and select the ".tar" you can find in the folder "rescue". 

I just did that at my ctrlX CORE and the update was done successfully. 

nickH_0-1725356055558.png

cdutz
Long-established Member

Admittedly I was expecting the "rescue" system to be something like a "lifeboat" or one of the "spare tires with which you're only allowed to go 80km/h" ... I think updating the documentation would be advisable in this case.

But thanks for the info ... I'll try to do that.

nickH
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

I agree with you and forwarded your suggestion to update the documentation. 

cdutz
Long-established Member

Ok ... with this (using the file in the rescue directory) ... however it seems I was using 2.4.1 and that didn't have any filters for selecting only TAR files (At least not in my Chome browser running on Mac OS)

Restoring the setup sort of worked ... however I don't see the network settings or the user settings being updated. Also did it only install the Apps in the versions I had, but not the configuration, the PLC program or any of the dashboards I had configured. I guess I'll have to do completely setup everything from scratch, which I have to admit is slightly disappointing.

Another suggestion: For me it was almost impossible to find out which version of CtlrX OS my PLC was running with. I assumed it was 2.4.x as I saw most Apps were 2.4.x, but admittedly I would be expecting this bit of information if I click on the "System Information" ... also would I expect it to be shown on the Firmware update page (which doesn't seem to exist anymore in 2.6.1)

CodeShepherd
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

When using a system image or firmware all settings and configuration data on the ctrlX CORE are lost. Like mentioned on the ctrlX OS web UI. You can afterwards insert a configuration file (created before) including all of this data.

For the version of your ctlX AUTOMATION - PLC app, and all others available in the system, please have a look to the "Settings -> Apps" page of your ctrlX OS web UI.

The "Firmware update" page is also still available in version 2.6:ctrlX OS web UI - SettingsctrlX OS web UI - Settings

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist