mm-173833_header_1544x548_s_3d_ethercat_knoten_001_xx_de.jpg

Set up WAGO I/O System 750 and connect it to ctrlX CORE using EtherCAT

maxvogeley
Established Member

Introduction

The WAGO I/O System 750 is distinguished by its more than 500 different modules for the field-side connection of sensors, actuators and communication devices and its openness to a wide range of fieldbus systems. This flexibility makes the WAGO I/O System 750 extremely attractive for many and very different fields of application.

This instruction shows how the WAGO I/O System 750 can be connected to the ctrlX CORE via EtherCAT.

Prerequisites

This instruction has been created based on 

• ctrlX CORE V1.10
  • ctrlX CORE EtherCAT Master App V1.10
  • ctrlX PLC Engineering V1.10
  • ctrlX I/O Engineering V1.10
  • WAGO_750-0354_22.xml

and exemplarily with the following modules from the WAGO I/O System 750:

• 750-354             Fieldbus Coupler EtherCAT
  • 750-430             8-channel digital input; 24 VDC; 3 ms
  • 750-530             8-channel digital output; 24 VDC; 0.5A
  • 750-559             4-channel analog output; 0..10 VDC
  • 750-468             4-channel analog input; 0..10 VDC; Single-ended
  • 750-600             End module

WAGO I/O System 750WAGO I/O System 750

Setup the I/O configuration
  1. Open ctrlX CORE user interface in browser. CTRLX CORE user interfaceCTRLX CORE user interface
  2. Add EtherCAT master by clicking [+] in EtherCAT > Configuration.  EtherCAT > Configuration > [+]EtherCAT > Configuration > [+]EtherCAT > Configuration > [+] > [OK]EtherCAT > Configuration > [+] > [OK]
  3. Launch the local installed ctrlX I/O Engineering by clicking on [ctrlX I/O Engineering]EtherCAT > Configuration > [ctrlX I/O Engineering]EtherCAT > Configuration > [ctrlX I/O Engineering]
  4. Choose a project name and a folder where the I/O configuration should be saved.Start ctrlX I/O Engineering > Choose a project name and a folderStart ctrlX I/O Engineering > Choose a project name and a folder
  5. If a window appears right after the start of ctrlX I/O Engineering please choose [Use project from ctrlX].ctrlX I/O Engineering > Project SynchronizationctrlX I/O Engineering > Project Synchronization
  6. Install the device description file WAGO_750‑0354_22.xml by selecting Tools > Device Repository…
    The file can be found on the WAGO website, search for "750".
    Tools > Device RepositoryTools > Device RepositoryTools > Device Repository…> [Install] (Select the WAGO_750-0354_22.xml file to install.)Tools > Device Repository…> [Install] (Select the WAGO_750-0354_22.xml file to install.)Tools > Device Repository…> [Close]Tools > Device Repository…> [Close]
  7. Choose Scan for Devices… from the context menu from the item “ethercatmaster” to add the 750-354 Fieldbus Coupler EtherCAT.Scan for devicesScan for devices
  8. Click [Insert all newly scanned devices] and close the dialog by clicking on [OK]Scan for Devices… > [Insert all newly scanned devices]Scan for Devices… > [Insert all newly scanned devices]Scan for Devices… > [OK]Scan for Devices… > [OK]ctrlX I/O Engineering with added 750-354 Fieldbus Coupler EtherCATctrlX I/O Engineering with added 750-354 Fieldbus Coupler EtherCAT
  9. Select “ethercatmaster” and choose the operating mode “Pre-OP” in the field State machine > Master state after download to apply the configuration in the next step.State machine > Master state after download > “Pre-OP”State machine > Master state after download > “Pre-OP”
  10. Apply configuration by choosing Transferring field bus configuration from the context menu of “ethercatmaster”. In case of an upcoming question regarding the change of the operating mode to “Init” it must be confirmed by clicking [Yes].“ethercatmaster” > Transferring field bus configuration“ethercatmaster” > Transferring field bus configuration

Confirm the change of the operating mode to “Init” by clicking [Yes]Confirm the change of the operating mode to “Init” by clicking [Yes]
  11. Choose again Scan for Devices… from the “ethercatmaster” item’s context menu to add the installed modules.Scan for Devices… > [Insert all newly scanned devices]Scan for Devices… > [Insert all newly scanned devices]
  12. Click [Insert all newly scanned devices] and close the dialog by clicking on [OK].Scan for Devices… > [Insert all newly scanned devices]Scan for Devices… > [Insert all newly scanned devices]Scan for Devices… > [OK]Scan for Devices… > [OK]CTRLX I /O ENGINEERING with added I/O modulesCTRLX I /O ENGINEERING with added I/O modules
  13. Select “ethercatmaster” and choose the operating mode “Pre-OP” in the field State machine > Master state after download to apply the configuration in the next step and to start the data cycling automatically.State machine > Master state after download > “OP”State machine > Master state after download > “OP”
  14. Apply module configuration by choosing Transferring field bus configuration from the context menu of “ethercatmaster”.

In case of an upcoming question regarding the change of the operating mode to “Init” must be confirmed by clicking [Yes].“ethercatmaster” > Transferring field bus configuration“ethercatmaster” > Transferring field bus configurationConfirm the change of the operating mode to “Init” by clicking [Yes]Confirm the change of the operating mode to “Init” by clicking [Yes]
  15. Save the I/O configuration via File > Save and exit the ctrlX I/O Engineering.
  16. Check the status of the EtherCAT fieldbus in the ctrlX CORE user interface via EtherCAT > Status.ctrlX CORE > EtherCAT > StatusctrlX CORE > EtherCAT > Status
  17. The data exchange can be checked using the System > Data Layer

In this example the digital outputs one and two are bridged to the digital inputs one and two by hardware.

A manually override of the both outputs “Output_s_.Channel_1_Data_1” and “Output_s_.Channel_2_Data_1” of the “_750_5xx_750_15xx_8b_out” could be read back by the input module “_750_4xx_750_14xx_8b_in” at the inputs “Input_s_.Channel_1_Data_1” und “Input_s_.Channel_2_Data_1”.Manually override two outputs..Manually override two outputs..…and read the values back at the bridged inputs.…and read the values back at the bridged inputs.

Use the I/O signals in the PLC
  1. Launch the local installed ctrlX PLC Engineering by clicking on [Start ctrlX PLC Engineering].PLC > [Start ctrlX PLC Engineering]PLC > [Start ctrlX PLC Engineering]
  2. Choose a project name and a folder where the PLC project should be saved.Start ctrlX PLC Engineering > Choose a project name and a folderStart ctrlX PLC Engineering > Choose a project name and a folder
  3. Connect to Data Layer by choosing Edit > Online from ctrlX CORE from the context menu of “DataLayer_Realtime” in the window Devices.ctrlX PLC Engineering > Devices > “DataLayer_Realtime” > Edit > Online from ctrlX CORE…ctrlX PLC Engineering > Devices > “DataLayer_Realtime” > Edit > Online from ctrlX CORE…
  4. Select “ethercat_master_instances_eth[…]” and apply by clicking [Apply changes].Edit online from ctrlX CORE > Select “ethercat_master_instances_ethercatmaster” > [Apply changes]Edit online from ctrlX CORE > Select “ethercat_master_instances_ethercatmaster” > [Apply changes]
  5. Select item “_750_354” and apply by clicking [Apply changes].Edit online from ctrlX CORE > Select “_750_354” > [Apply changes]Edit online from ctrlX CORE > Select “_750_354” > [Apply changes]
  6. Select all module items and apply by clicking [Apply changes].Edit online from ctrlX CORE > Select all items > [Apply changes]Edit online from ctrlX CORE > Select all items > [Apply changes]
  7. Select all channel items and apply by clicking [Close].Edit online from ctrlX CORE > Select all items > [Close]Edit online from ctrlX CORE > Select all items > [Close]
  8. After successful setup, the device tree displays the added devices.All I/O modules have been added to the window DevicesAll I/O modules have been added to the window Devices
  9. Open the programming window by double click on “PLC_PRG (PRG)” and enter the variables in the declaration window (top) and call them in the programming window (bottom).PLC_PRG: Variable declaration and programmingPLC_PRG: Variable declaration and programming
  10. Assign the input variables bInStart and bInStop to the first two input channels of the input module „_750_4xx_750_14xx_8b_in_“.Assign input variables to input channelsAssign input variables to input channels
  11. Assign the output variables bOutError and bOutReady to the first two channels of the output module “_750_5xx_750_15xx_8b_out_”.Assign input variables to input channelsAssign input variables to input channels
  12. Log on to the PLC by Online > Login or by clicking the button in the toolbar and install the controller’s certificate in the local storage by clicking on [OK].                                                                             Online > LoginOnline > LoginOnline > Login > Install certificateOnline > Login > Install certificate
  13. A possible query for creating the application on the controller must be confirmed with [Yes].Confirm the creation of the applicationConfirm the creation of the application
  14. Start the application program by Debug > Start or by clicking the button in the toolbar.Debug > StartDebug > Start
  15. The view switches to online mode and variable values are displayed and can be set.Online mode with variable values (bInStop has been set manually)Online mode with variable values (bInStop has been set manually)
  16. Save the PLC program via File > Save and exit the ctrlX PLC Engineering.

Related Links

The Company

The WAGO Group is an international, family-owned company that offers both market-leading products for electrical interconnection technology and an open automation platform recognized across all industries. Automation users of WAGO profit from the freedom of being able to implement automation and IT tasks on an open platform while having access to a nearly boundless range of input and output modules. End users also profit from ready-to-use and custom tailored coordinated solutions. Benefits include enormous versatility, design freedom and end-to-end communication, from the sensor level all the way up to the cloud. Users also enjoy a high degree of reliability – even under extreme conditions. WAGO products connect, measure and network through simple solutions and intelligent connections. Customers profit from scalable solutions for integrating physical measured variables and from applications and assets in fields such as building automation, energy management, shop floor connectivity and much more. WAGO is open and ready for your digital future.

WAGO_logo_ctrlx-world.png

WAGO
WAGO
WAGO’s open automation platform offers flexible I/O systems with a wide range of interfaces from digital and analog signal processing to industry-specific communication.
6 Comments
Sozu
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hallo,

is it also possible to use the DALI Multi-Master art. no. 753-647 for the ctrlX core?

Regards

WAGO
New Poster

Hi Sozu,

using the DALI Multi-Master 753-647 is possible.  You have to take the serial cable 750-923 to connect your PC via the serial service port of the EtherCAT coupler 750-354 with the I/O system. With the WAGO DALI Configurator (download here) you can configure your DALI lines and groups and switch the 753-647 into the easy mode. Once switched into this mode, its easy to control your DALI devices by the process data via EtherCAT. 

If you want to know more, please feel free to contact WAGO's support team in your country or from the headquarter by phone +49 (571) 887-44555 or by mail support@wago.com.

Regards,

Your WAGO Support Team

Sozu
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

This means that the configuration of a DALI line and the configuration of groups and scenes is not possible via the PLC programme? Does the EtherCat bus coupler only support easy mode?

Regards

WAGO
New Poster

Using the "transparent mode" or "full mode" to have the full DALI access requires a special handling that is covered - for instance for CODESYS - by a set of function blocks. Today WAGO provides function blocks only for CODESYS V2.3 and e!COCKPIT, not for ctrlX PLC Engineering, which may change in future. If you need individual assistance in solving your task, feel free to contact us by using the addresses given above.

Sozu
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hallo, it is possible to use the feldbuskoppler-ethercat 750-354 with serielle-schnittstelle-rs-232-485 750-652 and m-bus-master 753-649 on the ctrlX CORE? 

WAGO
New Poster

Hi Sozu,

sorry for the late reply but WAGO has been in charge of preparing everything for the next step, becoming the first Technology and System Partner based on ctrlX OS. 🙂

Going this step we also spend efforts in our libraries to enhance their functionality in the regard supporting more modules to work with the ctrlX PLC Engineering. Please find here the link to the latest release of our libraries. The WagoAppCom will help you using the serial interface module, the WagoAppM-Bus will help using the 753-649 module. 

Hope the answer is not too late and helps you solving your task!

Must Read
Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist