Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VirtualBox Virtual Machine Setup

VirtualBox Virtual Machine Setup

Aschaepper
New Poster

Hello together

I'm trying to setup a linux machine according:
https://boschrexroth.github.io/ctrlx-automation-sdk/setup_windows_virtualbox_ubuntu.html

Im at "Setup Standard Packages":
1. Open the according user-data-img file e.g. with Windows notepad. In the text part of this file you will find the section packages (here the first lines only):

I don't understand whats ment with user-data-img. Can someone point me into the right direction where I can get this from or what user-data-img file is ment for extracting the commands?

Thank you

Alex

1 REPLY 1

nickH
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Alex,

this guide shows you how to setup Ubuntu Desktop running in a virtual machine using Oracle VirtualBox on a Windows host system as a development environment for the ctrlX AUTOMATION SDK. Please keep in mind that our recommended development environment is still the App Build Environment included in the ctrlX WORKS. Because in this App Build Environment a lot of packages you will need are automatically installed when you create it. 

But if you still want to use a self created virtual machine or any other setup you will need to install these packages by hand. You can see the list of packages which are installed in our App Build Environment if you look at the cloud-config file (starting with line 28). 

I totally agree with you that this guide is a bit misleading here. That's why it will be updated. 

I hope, I was able to help you with my explanation. And I hope the updated guide will be better to understand. 

Best regards, 

Nick

Icon--AD-black-48x48Icon--address-consumer-data-black-48x48Icon--appointment-black-48x48Icon--back-left-black-48x48Icon--calendar-black-48x48Icon--center-alignedIcon--Checkbox-checkIcon--clock-black-48x48Icon--close-black-48x48Icon--compare-black-48x48Icon--confirmation-black-48x48Icon--dealer-details-black-48x48Icon--delete-black-48x48Icon--delivery-black-48x48Icon--down-black-48x48Icon--download-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--externallink-black-48x48Icon-Filledforward-right_adjustedIcon--grid-view-black-48x48IC_gd_Check-Circle170821_Icons_Community170823_Bosch_Icons170823_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-logout170821_Icons_Community170825_Bosch_Icons170821_Icons_CommunityIC-shopping-cart2170821_Icons_CommunityIC-upIC_UserIcon--imageIcon--info-i-black-48x48Icon--left-alignedIcon--Less-minimize-black-48x48Icon-FilledIcon--List-Check-grennIcon--List-Check-blackIcon--List-Cross-blackIcon--list-view-mobile-black-48x48Icon--list-view-black-48x48Icon--More-Maximize-black-48x48Icon--my-product-black-48x48Icon--newsletter-black-48x48Icon--payment-black-48x48Icon--print-black-48x48Icon--promotion-black-48x48Icon--registration-black-48x48Icon--Reset-black-48x48Icon--right-alignedshare-circle1Icon--share-black-48x48Icon--shopping-bag-black-48x48Icon-shopping-cartIcon--start-play-black-48x48Icon--store-locator-black-48x48Ic-OverlayAlertIcon--summary-black-48x48tumblrIcon-FilledvineIc-OverlayAlertwhishlist